Thursday 17 March 2011

Week 3: Digital Publishing

This week I will be exploring the different modes of publishing which have been adapted in recent years, and the effect that this is having on the media; particular print media. In my tutorial last week, I found it interesting to learn about what 'publishing' actually is, and I realised that my view on the concept was very much limited and I was not thinking outside the square. Publishing, infact, can relate to all types of forms, including art, music, television, news and so on. Digital publishing has allowed for individuals to revigorate their work, and gives people more freedom in what they publish, and the manner in which they do so.

An article from this week's reading list which I thought related to this idea is "Dialing in a Plan: The Times Installs a Meter on Its Future" by David Carr. This article was published in the New York Times on Janurary 20, 2010. It talks about the different approaches that the New York Times have now taken in order of ensuring that their content is still being paid for by readers.

This issue is a result of digitial publishing, for articles can now be viewed for free on the Internet or other mediums, rather than the article being paid for when having to buy a newspaper. The article states that "it is not the job of The New York Times or any other mainstream media company to give away its content until it can no longer afford to do so", which suggests that in the future, if not already, mainstream media companies will have no choice but to allow for their work to be viewed for free.

I find this really interesting, as until now, I hadnt really explored any negative impacts of digital publishing. All I considered was the convenience, speed, globalisation, range of mediums etc that came as a result of digital publishing. I can now see, however, that companies who rely on manual publishing are now at the risk of decending in their success as a media corporation.

These are my thoughts for the week... thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment